Join the team at Charter Medical and use your skills and experience to contribute towards improving the lives of patients globally!
Who We Are:
Charter Medical, LLC is a life sciences company located in Winston-Salem, NC, that has supported the development of advanced immunotherapies for over 30 years. The integration of our single-use solutions in FDA-approved immunotherapies has helped improve the lives of patients globally. Our passionate team is committed to designing and developing quality products that support rapid growth in cell and gene therapy, bioprocessing, and blood management.
What We're Looking For:
The Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Specialist is responsible to plan, coordinate and direct the Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Management Systems for a business unit, providing guidance and support in the following areas: safety engineering, safe work practices, risk control, training, management practices, and conformance to HSE standards. This position is responsible for the continuous operation and improvement of HSE policy, ensuring corporate initiatives are understood and implemented inside the business unit.
What You'll Do:
- Partners with local and corporate leadership to deliver site HSE objectives.
- Ensures an on-the-floor presence in clean room production areas to lead and facilitate employee engagement in safety.
- Interacts and partners with department supervisors to drive HSE objectives.
- Develops and implements training processes for HSE awareness and authorized persons.
- Champions and drives processes for our occupational health & safety management system.
- Analyzes and proactively improves the effectiveness of our HSE processes.
- Assists in the execution of annual plan for continuous HSE improvement.
- Develops, monitors, and reports key HSE metrics.
- Conducts risk assessments and applies the hierarchy of controls to mitigate risks to an acceptable level.
- Leads the site safety committee (agenda development, writes meeting minute, develops appropriate action plans, follows up with leadership when necessary to achieve committee goals)
- Drives, supports, and participates in incident investigations, corrective actions, and follow-up activities.
- Develops an annual budget recommendation.
- Reviews capital expenditure requests to ensure appropriate safety measures are considered.
- Manages hazardous waste disposal, tracking and reporting, related documentation, and Safety Data Sheets.
- Ensures the company complies with all federal, state, and local HSE standards and stays informed on regulatory changes.
- Serves as the primary contact for any local, state, or federal government related safety/environmental inspections.
- Maintains the First Responder Team in a state of readiness for first aid, small fires, and incidental spills.
- Partners with Human Resources for workers’ comp case management and return to work accommodations.
- Organizes and leads continuing workplace precautions for communicable diseases
- Serves as the SME for safety, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, environmental, and fire protection.
- Must be able to perform job function on all three shifts. Primary work hours will be on day shift.
- Adheres to GMP/QSR requirements and follows applicable QMS documentation (e.g., SOP’s, Work Instructions) to successfully accomplish job requirements.
- Follows Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) policies and procedures, including wearing hearing protection, safety shoes, gloves, eye protection as required.
- Follows gowning procedures in designated areas.
- Follows established safety requirements and adheres to the Health Safety and Environment Management System.
- Performs other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety, Safety Management, Environmental Science, or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Current safety certification or actively working toward a certification in the safety field (CSP, CIH, etc.).
- Experience in medical device, pharmaceutical or other manufacturing a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- 3-10 years of experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to speak in front of large groups.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to work effectively in cross functional teams and across businesses.
- Ability to analytically solve problems and provide clear direction to others for problem resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service focus and professionalism.
- Excellent dependability and reliability.
- Ability to identify, recommend and implement process improvements.
- Ability to analyze problems then track until resolved.
Why Join Us:
We promote a collaborative, high energy and fast-paced environment. Using fact-based data, our team members strive to constantly improve our processes and products. We nurture an environment where employees can creatively innovate solutions that drive impactful results both for the business and themselves.
This position includes a compensation package that includes a base salary plus incentive based on company performance. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical insurance with Rx, vision insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401(k) and employer matched contributions, paid holidays and paid time off.
Charter Medical is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We maintain a commitment to providing equal access to employment. We value diversity and encourage applications from all genders, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and disabled individuals.
Charter Medical is a drug-free workplace. All offers of employment are contingent on passing a drug screen as well as a background investigation (including a criminal courts history, driving record report if applicable, and social security name and number verification). The company provides reasonable accommodations for disabilities.
Charter Medical participates in E-Verify as appropriate in accordance with company guidelines and federal or state law. This includes providing the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.