We're looking for a Staff Systems Engineer with a deep background in systems development to join our Instrument Hardware team. In this role you will bring your technical expertise in hardware engineering to directly contribute to our IVD instrument development. If you have multiple areas of expertise in optical, mechanical, thermal and/or control systems and love bringing the systems to work together well, this role is for you. You will work with a multi-disciplinary team of people who are driven to solve tough challenges, learn as quickly as possible, and have fun while doing it. If you want to be a part of a mission-driven, entrepreneurial company that values openness and collaboration, where you can have ownership and make an impact on lifesaving technology, innovation, and your fellow teammates, join us at Pattern Bioscience.
- Characterize the optical sub-system in our instrument, including stray light minimization, fluorescence background reduction, and illumination uniformity.
- Optimize or implement design changes as informed by the characterization exercise.
- Be a leader of system integration readiness for clinical trials (instrument, software, consumables, and assay) including verification and validation studies.
- Lead transfer of instrument to a contract manufacturing organization
- Design optical quality control tests and testing units to verify manufacturing processes.
How You Will Contribute
- Plan, own, and execute engineering experiments and projects centered around optics, thermals, mechanics, and electronics.
- Ensure the instrument continues to meet user requirements.
- Present your data and communicate potential solutions to problems.
- Identify root cause for instrument or instrument-related issues.
- Deliver on development milestones and manage the schedule including communicating status and anticipated delays and identifying potential solutions to problems.
We'd Love to Hear from You if You
- Have experience with the development and system integration of opto-mechanical instruments that require multiple engineering disciplines including optical, electrical, thermal, and mechanical.
- Have experience with automation.
- Have experience with project management, delivering projects on time and appropriately adjusting schedules.
- Communicate effectively to engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Understand and use statistics appropriate for system engineering like signal to noise ratios, input-referred noise, and coefficient of variance.
- Present data and deliver insights in a robust and objective way.
- Don't let go of challenges until you've figured it out.
Education & Experience
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical or Biomedical Engineering.
- > 10 years of industry experience working on teams with multiple engineering disciplines.
- Education or industry concentration in optical systems.
- Training in more than one of the above disciplines with concentrations in thermal, control systems or other engineering disciplines.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience operating in a Design Control environment.
We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
- Health insurance
- 401k Matching
- Paid Time Off
- Transparent leadership
- The opportunity to make a global impact and pioneer consequential solutions
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.