Who are we looking for?
Orthogonal is seeking a candidate for a Principal Software Engineer who will apply cutting-edge techniques and technologies, build great products and great teams that integrate devices, sensors, mobile and cloud computing.
What will you do as a Principal Software Engineer?
- Given a vision for a product by the client, extract technical requirements that need to be addressed by a software and hardware solution
- Convert requirements into an architecture and design that will become the blueprint for the solution being created, and that supports a specific set of features
- Provide leadership in identifying, analyzing and responding to project risk
- Develop presentations, overviews and documentation that communicates the design to both the client and technical team members
- Assist in taking the design and converting it to raw epics that can be expanded upon and groomed into specific user stories utilized by the UX and development teams
- Participate in all agile ceremonies, and support the objectives set by the product manager and scrum master
- Manage and monitor that project standards are adhered to.
- Mentor junior members of the team
Who will you work with?
For inception and elaboration, you will be on the client facing leadership team with the Product Manager, UX Architect, Director of User Experience and Director of Systems Quality Engineering. During the course of the project you will manage the architectural and system understanding of the engineering and testing staff. Along with the Account Manager you will also assist in managing client expectations
What will you learn, and how will you grow?
We're using fast feedback loops, design thinking, new and emerging technologies and lean processes to deliver new solutions that improve patients’ lives. You'll be at the center of this fast-growing area. You'll develop a deep understanding of the connected care landscape within the regulatory environment, including wearable sensors, wireless connectivity, mobile technologies and cloud computing. You'll be able to apply cutting-edge techniques and technologies, build great products and great teams.
The Principal Software Engineer is a key technology leadership role at Orthogonal and is intimately involved in almost every aspect of the lifecycle of a project from pre-sales advising through project inception, engineering design, implementation to final product handoff and delivery. The role requires someone who is able to be client facing, a technology leader as well as a team leader and mentor.
Requirements (You'd be a great fit if you have...)
- Experience with native mobile applications development: iOS Swift and/or Objective C, Android Java. This would have been in a team environment using software repository systems like github or bitbucket and continuous integration environments such as github actions, Travis CI, or CircleCi
- Knowledgeable in server technologies such as: .net framework, C#, Python, Ruby on Rails, C, C++, databases, Linux, MS Server, etc.
- Up-to-date on developments in Cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS, Google Cloud and Rackspace
- Understanding of the industry direction towards DevSecOps and how this affects architectural considerations
- A working understanding of networking and communication protocols such as Bluetooth, BLE, Wi-Fi, Ethernet and TCP/IP
- You have a background in client facing positions such as consulting or pre-sales.
- Ideally you’ve done medical device software development under an ISO 13485 Quality Management System in the past as well as experience with HIPAA
- Competitive salary
- remote work with optional in-person work in our downtown Chicago office
- health insurance
- dental and vision insurance
- 401k matching
- 22 annual PTO days & 10 paid holidays
- strong work-life balance